You know what it is like: the skin itches, the eyes water, the nose runs and the lungs tingle until you have to cough.These are possible symptoms of a house dust mite allergy that can occur after contact with the dust mite allergens. But what actually happens internally when the mite allergens penetrate? What exactly happens in the body that makes your life harder on the outside and makes you an allergy sufferer? And what can you do to prevent the allergic reaction?
But what actually happens internally when the mite allergens penetrate? What exactly happens in the body that makes your life harder on the outside and makes you an allergy sufferer? And what can you do to prevent the allergic reaction? Sensitisation to house dust mite allergens In order to react allergic to a substance, more frequent contact with the corresponding allergy trigger is required. This is also called an allergen. In the case of the house dust mite allergy sufferer, this is the faeces that the mite defecates. Since mites live in our beds in their millions, contact with the mite allergen happens virtually in our sleep. The mite excrement itself does not actually pose any danger to the organism, but is regarded as such by the immune system. The dust mite allergen triggers the formation of specific antibodies in the body, so-called immunoglobulin E antibodies (IgE). These are sensitive to the dust mite allergens and are located on the mast cells of our immune system. However, this process alone does not make a person allergic. In some cases, nothing happens for years except sensitization.
At the second contact or even months or many years later, renewed contact with the dust mite allergen can lead to an allergic reaction. The mast cells bind the mite allergen and histamine and serotonin are released.
Typical symptoms such as rashes, coughing, watery eyes or a stuffy nose are the result, because the skin and mucous membranes of the eyes, nose and lungs are most frequently affected by allergic reactions. Since in the case of a house dust mite allergy the symptoms only occur on contact with the dust mite allergen and these symptoms occur mainly in bed, most of those affected have the most severe symptoms at night and in the morning.
As already mentioned, after sensitization to the mite allergen, it can take varying lengths of time before the house dust mite allergy breaks out. This is because the threshold value of each immune system is different. There are even patients who are diagnosed as sensitive but do not develop the dust mite allergy for a lifetime, i.e. do not show any symptoms. In principle, the probability of developing a dust mite allergy is higher if parents or siblings are already affected. However, growing up in a rural environment seems to have a preventive effect. Early contact with other children, e.g. in the crèche, also "trains" the immune system.
If you suffer from cold-like symptoms, which are more severe, especially at night and in the morning, a house dust mite allergy could be behind it. Then you should definitely get tested. Your doctor can determine an allergy by means of a prick test, for example. If the result is positive, your doctor will initiate the appropriate treatment measures. A house dust mite allergy should not be taken lightly, as it not only noticeably reduces the quality of life, but if left untreated can even lead to asthma.
The most important measure in case of a house dust mite allergy is the allergen elimination.Avoid or reduce contact with the mite allergens as much as possible. The first measure is simple and can be carried out without much effort. As the main problem is found in bed, allergy bedding products (Dust mite covers) for mattress, blanket and pillow create a protective barrier and are therefore the best solution to avoid contact with the mite allergens. In this way, you prevent the allergic reaction and are largely free of complaints despite a house dust mite allergy. As a rule, no medication is necessary.